Wednesday, February 1, 2012

What I’m Loving Wednesday

Happy February everyone! I absolutely love February. I have no justified reason for loving this month. I just do. All that said, on this fabulous and unusually hot first day of February, I am loving the fact that God provides in so many unseen ways. One of those funny life occurrences happened to me on Monday night, and I wanted to share with all of you how God is good all the time, and continually provides for us without us even knowing.

The Story: A Damsel in Distress

After my first Zumba class on Monday, I had plans to meet my friend, Kayla, for dinner. I went and took a quick shower, and I had a moment of weakness when I thought that maybe, just maybe I could go in my pajamas. However, I decided I would be a little more classy and wear my oversized, grey “Fighting Okra” sweatpants and a t-shirt. Then I decided that I at least should attempt to somewhat fix my hair and put on mascara.

We decided to go to Subway, which in all honesty, I was not too thrilled about.  I had never really eaten at Subway, so when we got there and ordered, the guy making my Veggie Sub teased me because I did not know what I wanted on the sandwich. Kayla and I ate and had a great time catching up, but she had to leave around 6:45 because she did not want to miss Pretty Little Liars which came on at 7. We said our goodbyes and walked to the opposite ends of the parking lot to leave. I saw Kayla drive off, and while trying to start my car, absolutely nothing happened. There were no lights or sounds. My car was NOT starting up. I tried pulling the key out of the ignition, and my new car alarm started going off.  I tried making the alarm stop, but the alarm only got louder and all my lights started flashing. I felt like I was at a disco.

I made a few desperate calls to my friends Amber, Laura, and Pete. Amber was at work, but thankfully Laura came and brought every tool know to man because her dad wants her always prepared. Not long after, Pete and Chad arrived, and we all started making failed attempts to revive my car. After several fruitless efforts, we decided that the car was not going anywhere for the night. My dad made plans to come and fix the car the next day; so, I decided to go ask the employees if my car could stay overnight.

I went into Subway, and Chris (the same guy who gave me a hard time about my sandwich) asked if I was having car trouble. He told me he was a mechanic, and I thought he was kidding. But, it turns out that he is a real mechanic and offered to come and help. He informed me that the battery was very dead. Chris offered to take out the battery so that I could have the people at AutoZone run a test on it, and whatever the result, he offered to put the battery back. I quickly took him up on his offer, and Laura and I rushed to AutoZone before they closed at 9.

Turns out that the battery was VERY dead, and it was the original battery from 2000 when the car was made (If you are wondering how that is possible, it is because my grandmother rarely drove the vehicle and it has less than 70,000 miles on it). I bought a brand new battery, and true to his word, Chris installed the battery for free. The car finally started working, and at last I was able to head back to the dorm.

It was one of those situations where all I could do was keep calm, laugh, and trust that it was happening for a reason. It turns out that Kayla came back to Subway because she left something, and she heard a strange noise (my alarm which randomly kept going off) but did not see my car, so she thought I had already left. I am so glad that the one time I considered going in public in my pajamas, I let my better instincts take over. I am also, extremely glad that Kayla wanted to go to Subway, because any other time and place, I might have not had someone as helpful and generous as Chris. God looked out for me in so many ways, and it was just another one of those little life experiences where He shows me that He is in complete control.

Having said all of this, I am very thankful for friends who are there for me when I need them and can make me laugh even in not so ideal situations. Also, I am extremely thankful for people like Chris. If anyone is ever in Cleveland, you should stop by the subway. Chris can make a mean Veggie Sub. And, I am very thankful for a sovereign and gracious God that I can trust in regardless of the circumstance.

“You will keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on you because he trusts in You.”  -Isaiah 26:3

No comments: