Saturday, March 3, 2012

Happy 40th!

Today is a day of celebration. My parents have been married for 40 years! I realize that in today’s society the idea of a couple staying married for such a long time is relatively unheard of and, for most, quite shocking. When asked how they managed to stick it out so long, both readily admit that if it was not for God saving them and never letting them go, they would most definitely not still be together. I have been a first hand witness to the ups and downs for half of their married lives, and I can testify that God has truly been gracious and good to our family through preserving their marriage.

Who would have thought that a 16 year-old girl and a 19 year-old hippie would still be together and become the wonderful people they are. Forty years ago, my mom told her parents that she was going midnight bowling with some friends and spending the night with her best friend Rita. Needless to say, that was a lie. My parents and their best friends, Rita and Terry, all went to Arkansas so that my parents could  elope.

As to specifics: Apparently, mom “borrowed” (without telling) one of Rita’s mom’s dresses that was white, black, and fabulously hippie. Dad’s hair was longer than mine. My parents were trendsetters: several other friends of theirs eloped soon afterwards and used the same preacher. The preacher actually threatened them after about the third time. Also, they managed to keep the marriage a secret from my mom’s parents for about three months afterwards.

Again, I am so thankful that God managed to take what seemed like a set of unpromising circumstances and precarious beginnings and turned them into something wonderful. He took these two hippies and made them some of the most loving, generous, and supporting people: my parents.

Here are some pictures from over the years.

parentsI think this is the earliest picture we have of the lovebirds. It was taken in 1973 about a year after they were married.

fourty 058 Look at those outfits? I love this picture because it just screams the 1970s from mom’s floral dress, to dad’s baby blue tux, to the wooden paneling, and the hideous brown and mustard color curtains.

parents2 This was taken about five years after my parents were married. My mom was the maid of honor and my dad was the best man at Terry (yes, the same Terry from the above conspiracy) and Marie’s wedding. Believe it or not, my mom was my age in this picture.

fourty 059 This picture is from about 1992 when my parents had twenty years together under their belt, and I was one going on two.

I dare not put up anymore pictures out of fear of my mother’s wrath when she finally sees this.

1972-2012

Congratulations Billy Joe and Beth!

Also in their honor, “When a Man Loves a Woman” by the great Percy Sledge. No matter when or where, if this song is on, they will dance together.

No comments: